French toast is a simple affair; bread, milk, eggs and some maple syrup but this combination will knock your socks off. Orange yogurt with french toast dipped in star anise sugar, the flavors go beautifully together. Berry compote brings tartness to offset the sugar while adding a different flavor. But the star of this dish is star anise, licorice and mildly smoky.
This recipe is from Nopi by famed chef Yotam Ottolenghi. It’s a beautiful book with every picture making my mouth water. Use freshly grounded star anise for best flavor.
Recipe by Nopi by Yotam Ottolenghi
150 grams/ 1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 tablespoon orange zest (from 1 orange)
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
Mix berries compote
300 grams/ 2 cups mixed frozen berries
70 grams/ 1/3 cup granulated/ superfine sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Star anise sugar
8 whole star anise (freshly ground)
50 grams/ 1/4 cup granulated/ superfine sugar
200 grams/ 3/4 cup whole milk
6 thick slices bread (brioche or challah)
80 grams/ 1/3 cup unsalted butter (cold and cubed)
1. Mix greek yogurt, orange zest, orange juice and confectioner’s sugar in a small bowl, refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Heat a sauce pan over medium heat, add berries, sugar and lemon juice. Stir and cook for about 6 minutes, until sugar melts and it thickens slightly. Remove from pan and let it cool to room temperature, about an hour.
3. Grind star anise in spice grinder and then mix with granulated/ superfine sugar. Put this mixture in a small plate.
4. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Whisk eggs until pale and airy, slowly add milk while whisking continuously.
5. Pour the mixture into 2 large plate which can hold 3 bread slices each. Add the slices and let it soak the mix for about 5 minutes, turning once or twice. While turning be careful as they will be heavy and delicate.
6. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt 4 teaspoons of butter. As soon as it’s foamy add three slices and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. When flipping add another 4 teaspoons of butter. Remove the slices and put them on baking pan. Wipe the skillet clean and repeat with remaining slices.
7. Once all the slices are cooked, transfer the baking pan to oven for about 4 minutes, until they puff up. Once ready toss them one by one in the star anise sugar. Serve immediately with yogurt and compote.