3/14, Pi day! These tangy and sweet lime pie squares are perfect way to celebrate this day. A graham cracker crust with cream cheese filling, these squares are a delight to eat. These bars remind me of my vacation in Florida Keys. I like how the crunchy crust is paired with cool and creamy lime filling.
I know with warming temperatures everyone is looking forward to longer days, ample amount of seasonal produce especially berries but I am holding on to citrus fruit for as long as I could.
This dessert comes together in no time and requires no special equipment. If you don’t have food processor just use a ziplock bag and rolling-pin. If you can get your hands on key limes use them, otherwise regular limes work just great. Please refrain from using bottled stuff, it will give very artificial taste. You can use animal crackers or hard ginger snap cookies in lieu of graham crackers. I am adding something called a Yum Button for Yummly. It is the place I go and get inspiration for new and awesome recipes.
Recipe by America’s Test Kitchen
Makes: 16 squares
150 grams/ 9 whole graham crackers
35 grams/ 3 tablespoon light brown sugar
55 grams/ 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
120 grams/ 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon lime zest
Pinch of salt
400 grams/ 14 ounces/ 1 can condensed milk
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 325°F, line 8 inch square pan with aluminum foil. Coat with nonstick spray.
2. In food processor process the crackers for 10 second, until fine. Add sugar and pulse about 5 times, until mix. Keep the processor running add melted butter, mix till moist.
3. Scrap this into the prepared pan and pat evenly. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until nice golden brown. Remove and set on cooling rack.
4. Meanwhile put cream cheese, salt and zest in a big bowl. Using whisk combine, add condensed milk and mix till it’s lump free.
5. Add egg yolk and lime juice, mix until combined.
6. Pour over the crust, even out using offset spatula, bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven, set over cooling rack. Cool at room temperature for an hour, cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight. Remove from pan by lifting the edges of foil and cut into 16 squares.
7. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.