Happy Pound Cake Day! Traditionally a pound of flour, sugar, butter and eggs was used to make this rich and dense cake. In case you are stuck in outer space without Google, don’t remember a cake recipe just use equal parts of everything and you will be rewarded with a beautiful cake. Simply elegant yet so satisfying, this version has cream cheese for richness and tender crumb. A bundt pan takes this cake from an old fashioned to a distinctly ornate dessert which everyone will just adore.
Please make sure all the ingredients are room temperature here as the cake relies only on butter and eggs for softness, no baking powder/ soda here to give a lift in oven. Use baking spray on your pan for a clean and easy release. Cake flour is a must for tender and light cake.
Sky’s the limit when it comes to pound cakes, dusting of powdered sugar, icing it with some glaze, grill it, add funfetti or citrus zest to batter. I like it with fresh berries or a compote.
Recipe by America’s Test Kitchen
360 grams/ 3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
60 grams/ 1/4 cup milk, room temperature
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 egg yolks, room temperature
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
345 grams/ 1 1/2 cup/ 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
600 grams/ 3 cups sugar
170 grams/ 3/4 cup cream cheese, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Spray a bundt pan with baking spray, set aside. Combine cake flour and salt in a mixing bowl using whisk.Combine milk, eggs, egg yolks and extract in measuring cup using fork.
2. In stand mixer bowl with paddle attachment cream butter, sugar and cream cheese on medium high speed for about 5 minutes. It should turn light and fluffy.
3. Add wet ingredients while running the mixer on slow. Mixture will look curdled. Scrape the bowl properly using rubber spatula.Add dry ingredients in 3 additions, running the mixer on slow speed. Let one addition mix in completely before adding next.
4. Using rubber spatula scrape down the bowl. Scoop out the mixture in the prepared pan using rubber spatula. Smooth out the top and give the pan few taps on counter to release any big pockets of air.
5. Bake for about 1 hour 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.Let the cake cool in pan, set on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and let it cool for 2 hours before cutting.