Savory pastries are best way to start Sunday. Don’t get me wrong I love my pancakes, french toast and muffins but a hearty breakfast with eggs is still my favorite. A cup of good old Joe, OJ and something warm like this Quiche is a good way to start the day.
This is an ideal recipe to make for Sunday morning as all the work is done on Saturday. The tart shell dough can be made on Saturday morning and rolled later in the evening, along with making the filling. The shell dries out overnight and gluten relaxes too giving you a better crust. You can use any vegetable to your liking mushrooms, carrots, peas, spinach anything works. Cooked ham or bacon can be added too. Same goes with cheese, just use what you have on hand.
2 1/2 tablespoons water, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably sea salt
114 grams/ 1/2 cup/ 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
180 grams/ 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup leek, chopped and washed
1 cup asparagus, cut into an inch pieces
2 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper
1 large egg
1/2 egg yolk, keep remaining egg in a small bowl
115 grams/ 1/2 cup heavy cream
115 grams/ 1/2 cup milk, preferably whole
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
50 grams/ 1/2 cup cheese (swiss/ cheddar/ gruyère), grated
2 tablespoon parmesan, grated
1. In a small cup add water and salt, stir until salt is dissolved.
2. In a bowl put room temperature butter, add flour and mix. Do not overmix as that would activate gluten. Add a tablespoon of prepared water until it form a ball. Do not knead the dough.
3. Put the dough on a plastic wrap and pat to form a 5 inch disk. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, up to a day. Can be frozen for a month. Thaw in refrigerator overnight before proceeding.
4. Let the dough sit on countertop for 10 minutes before rolling. Lightly dust parchment with flour and roll it to 12 inch diameter, about ¼ inch thick circle and line a 9 inch tart pan/ring with it. Using a fork dork the bottom surface. Refrigerate the tart pan uncovered for at least 2 hours or overnight.
5. Heat the pan over medium heat, add butter, leeks and asparagus. Turn the heat down and cook the vegetable for about 10 minutes. Refrigerate this mix overnight.
6. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line the tart pan and blind bake with parchment paper and put pie weights/ beans/ rice in it for 55 minutes. Remove the parchment with filling and bake another 5 minutes, until nice golden brown in color. Remove from oven, brush it with the egg kept aside and bake for 5 more minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 350° F Mix cream, milk, 1 egg, 1/2 egg yolk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Put the vegetables, cheeses and prepared egg mixture in baked tart shell. Bake for 30 minutes and broil for 2-3 minutes. Put the pan on cooling rack for 30 minutes to cool.
8. Can be refrigerated for 2 days and frozen for a month. To eat bake for 5 – 10 minutes in preheated 450° F oven. This will re-crisp the crust.